2017 marks my fourth full-time year in business styling hair and makeup for special events and consulting with women one-on-one. Some of you may be new around here (hi!!!) and some of you may be old, close friends who have witnessed my life and business over the last decade. This year, I want to begin with a clean slate and a reintroduction, to remember all the things I love and all the things that matter.
My name is Sam, the creator, dreamer, & lead stylist behind LULA Hair + Makeup. LULA was my unnamed side hustle for about seven years - through five years of college, about ten different part time jobs, & several different apartment/familial living situations. In 2012 I named my work after my grandma Lula, and posted my portfolio on a Facebook Business page, without much expectation. The response was surprising & immediate, and by January 2014 I had quit my full-time software job to begin styling full time. I am so, so grateful for God's favor, the consistent presence of something I enjoy doing so much, and getting the immense privilege of being a woman in business, paying bills with the work of my hands and a joy of my heart.
A little about me:
- I was born and raised in Raleigh, NC & still call the City of Oaks my home
- I am the youngest of five, three older sisters and one older brother. We all have different natural hair color, from raven black to beachy blonde
- I consider myself an outdoorswoman - I grew up exploring trails around the lake by our house, building forts, enjoying all the plants and animals, fishing, camping, and target shooting. I also really enjoy any survival-related show and hope I would not be the first to die in the Hunger Games. My late-in-life career of choice is a Park Ranger (aka Granny in the Visitor's Center watching hummingbirds)
- Speaking of Hunger Games, that is one of the main reasons I work out #practicalfitness
- Okay seriously, I really enjoy working out, most of the time. I love yoga, swimming, Barre, strength training, and am learning to like running (two miles! I am amazed!) I did not play sports growing up, unless you consider Tae Kwon Do, Barbies, and writing songs similar to Spice Girls songs "sports." I also like the steam room so that really keeps me going : )
- I am a huge believer in self-care and self-kindness. I think many of us carry around self-hatred under the surface, and it comes out in super-busy schedules that end up in meltdowns, unkind inner thoughts throughout the day, consistent stress, and feeling "less-than." I know, because I feel and experience all of these things! It's so easy to put yourself last on the list for the simplest things, like making sure you are hydrated, well fed with nourishing foods, or relaxed. I love decompressing with a facial mask, a visit to a museum, or a work-free coffee date with a friend
- INFJ - introverted, intuitive, feeling, judging
- John and I will be celebrating our 5 year anniversary this April! I met him when he was about 12, short, chubby, with braces. I was 15 and his older sister's best friend. He has always been so kind, always smiling. I knew I could love, follow, and be married to him after I came home from college. All family members involved were happy with this revelation.
- We are walking the road of waiting for children - read more about it on our personal blog here. While you're there you can find all sorts of goodies from our international travels in 2014 (Europe, Africa) and 2015 (Israel, The Netherlands).
- Speaking of other blogs, I keep another blog for my music. I also studied music in college, recorded an EP in 2012, and am working on another album this year (!!!!!) I'm really so excited! Music is one of my other life joys.
- My beauty philosophy is beauty on the inside -> beauty on the outside. Confidence is gorgeous and contagious. When you know you're unconditionally loved, you love others, and that's true beauty.
- I fell in love with Jesus when I was 8. I think I loved him before that, I just didn't know all the magic and wonder was a He and that He loves me. Living my life with Jesus is the best romance, friendship, and companionship I have ever known.
I would really love to meet you, too. Maybe you've sat in my chair and we've had the opportunity to go a little deeper, but I want to hear more. Maybe I will get to meet you this year, and I hope you feel freedom to share a bit of your story. If you have a link to a personal intro, a blog, or would like to tell me more, please comment below!
Thank you for being a part of my story.
With blush + bobby pins,