First - I chopped my hair a couple of weeks ago (!!!) and wanted to give a few tips on textured, beachy waves - which I am LOVING on my fresh, long-angled bob - and I wanted to give a bit more of a face behind LULA Hair & Makeup.
My name is Samantha Ray, and LULA was born out of my love for helping women find, appreciate, and rock their natural beauty, and helping them feel confident in their own skin. I love threading the link between something as simple as hair & makeup into a larger aesthetic - the weather, the season, the occasion, the outfit, and most importantly, the woman living it all - her natural inner and outer beauty. Read on to get to know the girl behind LULA, or skip down to the bottom for textured beach wave tips!
Getting to know the gal behind LULA - Samantha Ray
- born & raised in Raleigh, NC
- married to husband of 2 years, John Bennett Ray (who loves UFC & has longer hair than most - like Braveheart, but better)
- 3 older sisters - lots of makeup & hair things to play with from the start
- has many passions, one of which is hair & makeup styling, and getting to know many wonderful women along the way...
- the others of which include (but are not limited to): making music, travel, baking, writing the great american novel/poetry anthology, loving God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and aspiring to love others as myself.
- laughing with husband
- farmer's market
- great coffee
- making music
- coffee table books (no, but seriously!)
- getting encouraged and inspired by other creatives
- being outside
- laughing with friends
hair & makeup background:
- loved all things creative from an early age (writing plays, building teepees in the woods, learning to "harmony" while listening to Spice Girls, & of course, playing with hair and makeup)
- went to school for music, creative anthropology, and creative writing (why should I have to pick just one??) & continued to freelance with hair and makeup styling along the way
- steadily built up a portfolio from client work, including prom looks, weddings, styled shoots, photography workshop shoots, & personal styling consultation
- decided to give my work a name inspired by my beautiful grandmother, Lula Saphonia Whitfield Crowder
- kept receiving inquiries from more and more beautiful women to help with their hair & makeup - kept saying YES!
- eventually, the work became too much to juggle with my other day jobs, so I studied the trade more intensively, continued saying yes to as many opportunities as possible, and then took the leap into full-time hair & makeup styling.
my hair & makeup philosophy is:
- less really is more
- find, affirm, and rock your naturally stunning assets (yes, YOU have them!)
- femininity is not a weakness
- be an encourager, not a critic
- imperfections and oddities are beautiful. they hold stories, show of battles won and strengths acquired along the way.
the looks I love to create are:
- in tune with the larger aesthetic - season, weather, occasion, decor, person
- real-life achievable
Looking forward to sharing more how-to series with you all!
With sunshine & a tall glass of iced water,